Welcome to Contracts Part Two
On Wednesday, we talked about Contracts. The topic chat was an effort to get participants on the same page with vocabulary. On Sunday, February 9th we will talk about Things to Avoid in a Contract.
Sunday, 9 February at 7PM ET at the Writers Chatroom
- Trap 1. Giving up total control of your work.
- Trap 2. Putting your book in limbo forever.
- Trap 3. Giving up the benefits of your copyright.
- Trap 4. Restricting your ability to write what you want.
- Trap 5. Letting your publisher change your words without your approval.
- Trap 6. Getting cheated on payments.
- Trap 7. Accepting unlimited liability for libel and other lawsuits.
- Trap 8. Having to pay back your advance if the publisher rejects your manuscript.
- Trap 9. Letting your publisher do important things without even telling you.
- Trap 10. Allowing your publisher to maintain control of your book forever.
On Wednesday, February 12th We will talk about What to Expect after You Sign the Contract.
Maybe, you want to get out of a contract. Maybe, your publisher wants to dump you. It can happen, but how do we deal with it?